Saturday, January 16, 2010

I've Been Flashed

When I went outside to take some portraits for my Bearded blog the other day, I took a few tripods, a remote for the camera, and a wireless transmitter for my flash with me.  I knew I was going to use the sun to light a good portion of my photo, but the side of my face away from the sun was going to be shadowed.  The off camera flash would balance the light in the shot without creating crazy shadows.

In several of the shots I wore my hat.  An on camera flash pointed straight at my face would not work for these shots.  My eyes wouldn't get the light and would look dark.

Here's the setup I used....

I stood pretty close in front of the camera and used the building as a back drop.  You can see the flash low and on the right side pointed up.  It was on a pretty low power, maybe 1/8th.  I'm sure that number means the world to 99% of you.  Anyway, if you didn't notice, the sun was on the left side of this shot.

Here's another result from the shoot:

I was trying to get a good photograph without it being obvious that I used a flash.
This next shot is one without a flash.  Probably not a bad snapshot overall...


Here's the one with flash on.  It's not my favorite, but it is a decent example of how a little flash off camera can totally change a shot.

If you have a chance to light your photo without the flash pointed directly at the persons face, try it.  MOST times, I think you'll have better results.  Use the sunlight or bright room lighting.  If you have an add on flash like on a DSLR, and you are indoors, point that flash at the ceiling or at a nearby wall.  Light is what really makes your photograph.  It determines how your subject will be displayed.

2 comments:

jen(melty) said...

I love the beard, btw :) What are you using to mount and control the flash off the camera? I have an sb600 so I'm not sure if that's even doable for me. And how do you set the wb for 2 diff kinds of light?

Duck Hunter said...

Jenn- I am using a wireless unit called Cactus. I found them on Ebay. Now you can buy them direct on the website. Do a search for Cactus flash units or something like that. They are cheap and work great for what I need them for. I also use the SB-600. Just put it on manual and adjust as needed.

I normally use auto WB and use Lightroom 2 if I need to make a few adjustments, but it is usually close. Feel free to email me anytime if you have more questions - I love talking about photography.