Thursday, April 27, 2006

Hand me downs

Go back and read this blog about Shampoo. I think it is related to this story.

When Cari got home from Walmart yesterday, (a lot of my blogs start that way, don't they?), I went out to help her unload the mountains of merchandise from my car. Among the items was a new pillow.

Previous to this trip there were about five to seven pillows on my bed. Only two of us sleep there.
I asked, "What did you get a new pillow for?". As she watched me squeezing this new pillow in its plastic sleeve, she replied, "My old one isn't soft anymore. All the feathers are stuck together.

I'm not sure how she knows all the feathers are stuck together. She owns the softest pillow I have ever felt. Cari has never let me use it. "You need another soft pillow? What are you going to do with the old one?", I asked her.

Without hesitating, generosity entered into her heart, "You can have the old one."

I CAN HAVE THE OLD ONE! Oh! Praise GOD! I WILL SLEEP GOOD TONIGHT! With the OLD pillow! The one with the feathers all stuck together.

I started to tell her I felt like a little Chinese kid that works in a factory all day. The kid doesn't know any different. He doesn't know what life as a child could be like. He only knows the factory, and is content with that.
I only know the feel of putting my head on a used pillow. I'm happy with that because I don't know what a NEW fluffy pillow would be like.

As I started into that rant, Cari told me she would go out today and buy me my OWN new pillow.
Of course, I told her not to. I kinda like the one with the feathers glued together with drool.

2 comments:

John said...

All of my pillows are like that (drool-me-downs from The Mrs.), but I get my revenge by stealing her white socks.

Michelle said...

Poor Kelly has been sleeping on an air mattress for the past 2 months, because I couldn't sleep next to him anymore. I use 4 pillows to his one presantly. I hope he doesn't read this post or he may jump on the chinese factory kid example.