Friday, April 21, 2006

Analog

While talking to someone at work about her vacation, she mentioned that she used her new digital camera. She said this was the first digital camera she used.

Do you realize what that means? It means she was using a film camera up to that point! She must have noticed my snickering because she mentioned that she is the last person on Earth to switch to digital.

This woman said she took over 80 pictures while on vacation. There is about $20 of expense in buying the film and having it developed.

--While trying to find pricing to write this I learned that processing costs have come down a lot. I Guess they are trying to compete with digital a bit more. It seems like I used to spend $10 a roll just to develop.

After you spend that money to develop, you start flipping through all your pictures to see that you only took ten great ones. You had twenty blurry ones that go straight to the garbage.

With digital you will know instantly if you have a blurry picture. You also will only print the few that are really great. In most cases you will never need more than one memory card.

Have you ever read those e-mails that talk about "back in my day" written for my generation? Things such as "back in my day we had to go to the library. We didn't have the internet." or "if I wanted to hear a song I had to wait for it to be played on the radio (my hand on the record button), I couldn't just download it from the internet." My kids will never have used a film camera. I will be an old man sitting in my rocker saying, "back in my day we had to load film into a camera to take pictures."

"Dad, what's film?", they will ask. We'll sit down together to look up the answer on the internet.

Before you go, just hang out for a minute while I load another roll of film into my camera. I want to get one more picture of you.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I was the last person to switch to C.D.'s. It must be a girl thing to cling to the old and out dated.
Carrie's hair looks lighter. Does she get summer sun highlights. It looks nice.