Thursday, April 06, 2006

Where's the tree?

I almost killed a white bunny driving to work this morning. This got me thinking about Easter. Colorful eggs, pastel flags, chocolate bunnies, and a guy named Jesus.

Then it hit me that Christmas seems to be a much more celebrated holiday. Everyone runs out and decorates their houses, you get a Christmas tree, and you can go see a nativity. This is all very nice. As a Christian, shouldn't Easter be a more important time? Without Easter and the week leading up to it, we wouldn't even be Christians. Most retailers close on Christmas, but most are staying open on Easter Sunday now. This makes no sense to me. As I write this, I think it frustrates me more.

Jesus died on Friday. Some may say this is one of the most important days of Christianity forming. Jesus died for our sins. During the time that it happened it must have seemed like the world had come to an end for the disciples.

I tend to think that Easter is more important than Friday. Didn't the resurrection prove one more time to the disciples that Jesus was the son of God?

HE HAS RISEN!

Easter Sunday should surpass all other Christian holiday's by a mile. People should be celebrating.

Stores should be CLOSED (are you getting the picture they scheduled me to work on Easter?).

After re-reading this before posting, I'm not sure I have all my thoughts complete or all together. I think you'll get the general idea of what I'm trying to say. Others out there can say it more elegantly than I can.

Easter is under-celebrated.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I share your anger. You could have run over the white rabbit, and you would still see more images of easter bunnies than Christ's accomplishment.
Not to persume that a rabit hidding eggs from children isn't huge or anything. (hope the sarcasium is noted)

John said...

yup, under-celebrated, under-understood (or at least under-regarded).