Saturday, May 01, 2010

Lessons

I recently mentioned surviving my second backpacking adventure.   Since then, I haven't had much time to sit down and write about it.  I have a lot of video that I want to edit as well, and I hope to get that done over the next two weeks.



This was my second backpacking adventure and also the longest hike I have taken.  Both times out on the trail I have learned a lot about backpacking.

This year it rained on us for about sixteen hours.  We hiked the last five miles of the day in the rain and it reminded me of an important lesson.  Don't wear jeans backpacking.  Spend a little money and get proper hiking pants.  Last year I wore jeans, and although it didn't rain, I learned jeans are too heavy and uncomfortable for such a long hike.  If I had worn jeans this year I would have had to take them off when it started raining.

Obviously, when you are backpacking, food is a major consideration.  When you get several miles, or fifteen miles from civilization on foot you start getting hungry.  I was very satisfied with the meals I prepared this year and I learned that I was still carrying too much food.  Next time I will portion out my food ahead of time and only take those portions.

The other key survival ingredient is water.  Last year I carried around five liters of water for a one night trip.  It was by far the heaviest item in my bag putting strain on my body.  This year, for a trip twice as long, I carried only three liters and a filter.  As long as you are near water sources throughout your trip, filtering water is the best way to go.  The three liters was perfect for drinking throughout the day, and was easy to fill back up during a break with a simple filter.  No need to add more weight to your pack than necessary.  And with a filter you won't resort to drinking your own pee (unless you are named Bear Grylls).

Getting lost on a long hike isn't much fun.  Especially so if you left any extra food at home because you portioned it out ahead of time.  Always carry a map.  Last year I folded up a map and put it in my jeans pocket.  Then I clipped a GPS to my belt and hit the trail.  The map got wet and ragged by lunch on the first day and was unreadable.  The GPS told me where I was but not where I should be or where I needed to go. Lesson learned:  put your map in a plastic sleeve.  This year, I started to use the GPS, realized it was useless compared to the map, then put the GPS back in my pack.  There's a very good chance the GPS won't make it on the next trip at all.  We referred to our maps constantly this year and they help even on well marked trails.

At the end of the day you will smell.  Taking a quick bath in the water source that you camp near will be a refreshing treat for your body and your fellow backpackers.  Bring a small towel.  I forgot this on my first trip and I needed it so many times it was still on my mind while I packed for this trip.

I was nervous as I packed for such a long trip.  Once you get out there, if you forgot something then you will be living without it until you get back.  What I have done is after each trip I sit and write down the things that I took that didn't get used and also the things I wished I had.

This list will be a key reference as I pack for my next adventure and I'm sure I'll be more prepared than ever before.  Already noted on the list are bring plastic grocery bags and choose a new hat.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

...and you still packed your Droid AND an extra battery. Next time, I'm bringing the iPod Touch. :P