Saturday, May 29, 2010

Valediction

Yesterday morning I was getting ready to leave for work and I went about my routine of saying goodbye to anybody else in the house.  This time, only Cari and Brenna remained at home.

"Brenna, come give daddy a hug.  I'm going to work."

Brenna came running over to me and I had my arms outstretched for a hug.  She stopped just short of my reach and said something I didn't understand.

"What?", I asked.

She said it again and put her hand out to me.  Just one.   She was saying the word, "hand".   I put my hand out and she shook hands with me.

Seriously!!!  The two year old felt the best goodbye to daddy would be a hand shake.  I'm not even sure where she learned it, but she certainly knew what she wanted.  After I shook hands goodbye with her she beamed with pride and ran to her mom screaming, "hand!"

Cari came into the room to see me off.  Instead of the hug and kiss I had planned to give her, I put my hand out. I'll let you guess how that worked out for me.