Thursday, November 25, 2004

All is fair. . .in racing.


(I drive the yellow car in this picture)

I race with the same group of guys on a regular basis. Part of racing, even in online racing is trust. You have to trust the guy you are driving next to. You have to know this guy won't wreck you and end your day.
We race for points. I want to win. Here is what happened the other night.
It was a road course race, Watkins Glen. It can be pretty difficult to pass on a road course. You really need to pick your spot and be carefull. Track position is critical. The fastest car out there, driven by Corie, was leading every lap. We were having quite a few cautions. I was driving in second place and I needed to lead a lap (to get 5 bonus points). During the caution, I started to private message the car behind me, Ben. I was asking if he was going to pit for tires. He said he was going to. I then started to private message the leader, Corie.
"tires?"
He replied in private, "I really want tires, but don't want to loose track position."
"Ben is pitting, don't know about others", was my answer.
I had him hooked. We came up to the access lane, into pit road. All the cars were pulled down low into this lane, a firm commit to pit. As soon as the lead car was far enough in, he could not turn out (due to the tire wall), I pulled back onto the track. One other car, from farther back also stayed out. I was leading laps and getting bonus points!

This is where my friends went nuts. We use voice communiction during the race, and I heard all kinds of things being said about me. Yeah, it was a dirty trick. Technicaly, I never said I was pitting. Then at the restart I slowed my car way down, to get everyone behind me off the gas. Then I floored it before the green flag came out. That got me a good jump on everyone.

Yeah, trust went out the window that night. I finished second. Corie, with his fast car, great driving, and now fresh tires, won the race. I got 5 more points between me and the guy behind me!

No comments: