Thursday, November 04, 2004

Got Gas?

Well, let me tell you, I hate stopping for gas. Sometimes it just has to be done, and it doesn't really take that much time. I just don't like stopping my day to do it. My car has a wonderful electronic read out to tell me how many miles I can go before empty. Well, one day I waited until it got into the single digits.
Leaving work at night, probably around eleven pm. Gauge = 9 miles. Oh, that's plenty!
Coming up the back road into the neighborhood, 3 miles. Ok. Now it's getting close. I'll have to get gas in the morning. Well under a gallon of gas left in the tank. I start laughing to myself as I imagine a dixie cup worth of gas sloshing around in there. Go up a steep hill on the way to my street. Car dies. I didn't consider I was going to be going on hills when that thing read 3 miles. I thought three miles was three miles. I'll have to rethink this. See, I'm from Florida, and everything is flat. Hills are a non issue.
I'm sitting in my silent car, holding the brake down. I get the car started and I floor it to get the car up and over the hill as fast as possible. I coast down the down side and make my turn. The car stutters once. I floor it down one more hill. Gassing it up my last hill to home, it stutters again. I begin to make my last left turn and the car goes silent again. I start laughing hysterically. The car coasts to a complete stop in my front yard, parallel to the road, nose to the mailbox. I dare you to beat that timing on fuel!
For the curious, I'll tell you the ending. I used the lawn mower gas the next morning to get me to the gas station. I was still laughing.

1 comment:

Joel said...

good story...