Friday, March 11, 2005

Through rain, sleet, and snow. (yeah, right)

I met a woman who is a letter carrier. We were all talking about the snow and ice we had a few weeks ago. She proceeded to tell us that she has a street in her route, that she does not even try to get mail to when it is snowed or iced. Excuse me? Won't even try it? She said the hill was too steep, and she would be stuck down there. She didn't seem embarrassed that she couldn't do her job. She almost was proud that she made that decision. Mail carriers from the USPS will be there through rain, sleet, and snow. You can count on it. Unless you live on this lady's route. Hope you weren't expecting any time sensitive materials.

Cari didn't seem to think it was a big deal that this lady was doing a half assed job. It's easy to say it's not a big deal when it isn't you being affected by it. "The street is only eight houses." Yeah, that makes it ok.

If I was a mail carrier I would have to evaluate my route as this lady does.
"oh, that street only has ten houses, I'll get them tomorrow."
"Mr. Smith got this big box today, but I'm not strong enough to carry it to his door, hope he sees it laying in the street....two doors away."
"I was up way too late last night, I'm only going to do the first twenty houses this morning."

Yeah, that's the job for me. Through rain, sleet, and snow, I will continue to do a half assed job.

No comments: