Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Geocaching is hard

Instead of a single trail, Cari and I went Geocaching yesterday. We planned a route for about five caches. On our last one, a trail that lead to a the TOP of a waterfall, I was cussing. These geocache people are nuts. I suppose Cari and I are those people now, but the people that hid this box were some sick people.

We hiked past the end of the trail. Then we headed into the woods up the mountain toward the top of the waterfall. Once there we lost the trail and wandered around the woods at the top of this mountain. Thorns and bushes were scratching our legs.

Holding onto the GPS, we started back to where we lost the trail. Sure enough, there was the box under a fallen tree. We had stood in that same place about fifteen minutes earlier.

All in all we were 5 for 7 in finding the caches.

Here's a picture of Cari watching the GPS as she jumped sideways. The unit tells you how fast you are moving and she wanted to know how fast she could jump. I think the record was 3.4mph. She's a quick jumper.

I hope I'm a quick runner after she reads this.

1 comment:

Johnnygeo said...

Geocaching can be hard at first, but as you find more & more caches it gets a lot easier. You get experience on what to look for by finding many different creative types. You actually get to a point were you know where someone's going to hide it... Sounds wacky, but it's true.
The difficulty rating is listed on the cache page with it's coordinates. One star means easy while five stars means the most difficult. I suggest a one or two star rating for your first caches until you get experience.
I've found over 500 caches coast to coast and I still come up with DNF's.(Do Not Finds) I really enjoy the challenge of trying to find them. Some caches have taken me a couple hours to find.(ex. A film canister in the middle of the woods) That's when you know you're addicted :)
To me the most important part of the experience is where the coordinates take you... Not necessarily the actual cache itself. I've been lead to some beautiful places.

Take care and happy caching,

Johnnygeo