Friday, October 20, 2006

My name is Kamal

I had to call India three times yesterday. This was a frustrating experience. Thankfully, the friendly people at GE were paying for the long distance call.

Use your best Indian accent and this is what I heard: "Thank you for calling GE customer care, my name is (in a different, forced accent) Alan, how may I help you?"

ALAN?!! Ok, that's his real name. Alan told me to call a different number for the department I needed. Again, I was routed to India and spoke to "Michael". I laughed a little while on hold.

It was obvious to me I was speaking to someone in India, but the two people I spoke to had American names.

I laughed a little more when Michael told me I had to call a different number. He gave me the same number that Alan had given me.
"Michael, I called that number and you answered.", I told him. "What good will calling it again do?"
It took about five minutes for him to understand that concept. He really didn't want to talk to me. Then he told me to call it back and to not choose an automated option, let it go to operator.

Of course, he wouldn't be able to transfer me, so I hung up and called again. When I finally heard a voice it was again in a very heavy Indian type accent. The name given, "Sarah".

Am I supposed to feel better about GE directing their customer complaints to India if the person answering the phone has an American name? It's like a game.

When "Sarah" told me her name it sounded so rehearsed and forced that, like the ones before her, I didn't believe it.

From now on, when someone calls me at work, I'm going to be "Kamal".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many poeple do that! Including my mechanic "Jeff", he's also East Indian. I think it's sad actually. It must take some toll on the ego too; not being able to even refer to yourself by your own name. All so you can be better for your boss's business.

Farm Girl in MD said...

another perspective on the name thing...When I taught in China, the students all wanted American names. It was a really big deal for us to give them names. It made it easier for us when teaching, but I personally would have rather learned their Chinese name. it seems like they are lying when they say their name is "John" etc.

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

Crap. I laughed too hard over that post. I really needed a good laugh too. Thanks. By the way..... my name is Vialexia (hell yea!I mean it!)

All games aside.... I can relate to what Farm Girl is sayin'. Our friends from Taiwan were named Youfin and Youchong. Their American names are Sue and John. Surreal.