Thursday, April 24, 2008

I Can't Stop Kicking Myself

In my heart I knew I should take the camera with me.

It was about five thirty in the morning and I was leaving for work. Just before lunch time I would be taking a drive to Greenwood, SC for a meeting. I had never been to Greenwood and didn't know what I would find there.

I was torn about the camera as I stood there half asleep. I didn't really want to leave it in the car all day and I didn't really know if I would have time to take pictures in Greenwood. The plan was to skip lunch until after the meeting and walk around town before leaving.

I decided to leave it home and I started off to work. As I drove, I said out loud that I would be kicking myself once I found out how beautiful Greenwood is.

When I arrived at Greenwood I realized that there was nothing to see. I stood in the parking lot of the meeting place and looked around. Looking around takes a few minutes for me. I like to stop and observe and look at the details. This place is boring. A busy highway surrounded with plain shops and restaurants.

Having my camera in Greenwood turned out to be unnecessary. BUT on the way to Greenwood I drove through Abbeville, SC. WOW! Abbeville is AWESOME! Abbeville is BEAUTIFUL! Abbeville is a place you slow down below the speed limit when you are ten minutes late to a meeting because you are in awe of the beauty, charm, and history around you. Then the car behind you taps his horn and brings you back from dream land, but you are still ten minutes late to a meeting.

When I arrived in Abbeville I started to kick myself. Hard. Why did I leave the camera at home? Abbeville is history. Civil War history. It is the place that the Confederate President Jefferson Davis made many important decisions. Including the meeting that started the secession from the Union. Many Civil war era homes and buildings still stand in Abbeville.

When I got home, I looked at the calender and told Cari that we are going to be taking a walking tour on my next day off.

I'll be taking my camera.

4 comments:

rakethetable said...

Sounds like a place that will have lots of photo oppurtunities.

Good Luck!

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

I look forward to seeing the photos!! =)

RoadRunner said...

can't wait for the photos after that description.

Poptart said...

Bring on the pics!