Sunday, April 20, 2008

Pickens Azalea Festival

It was a colder rainy day on Saturday. There's no reason to sit inside and cry about that, so we went to Pickens. The ad in the paper said "rain or shine" the Pickens Azalea Festival would be happening.

When we got there it wasn't crowded, but there were a good many people around. The rain had stopped and the air was still cool. We walked down main street to check out all the vendors. Randy and I picked up our stickers that told everyone we support the creation of a Confederate History month. We stopped by the tent the fire dept was running to get some lunch and then we sat next to the main stage. I didn't get the name of the group that was playing, but it was some of my favorite music.

I used Cari's camera to make a short film. The sound is a bit horrible because I was sitting next to the speaker and the volume distorted the camera mic. But you can be sure the band sounded GREAT.

Although that is some of my favorite music, it isn't the favorite of anyone else in my family. After two songs we moved along.

Cari's favorite vendor was the local bee keepers. They brought a small plexiglass container of bees to check out. Cari and the keeper talked for a while about bees while the kids and I went to check out the police dog. When we went back to Cari, she had purchased two things of honey. One of them being a "cream honey". It is made of nothing but honey and is the consistency of butter. There is some long process to get it more solid like that. Cari can tell you more about honey if you ask her. I didn't really pay much attention to the details.

So where are all the azaleas, you ask? I don't know either. There were two small tents with some plants and only one of them had azaleas. There are a large amount of azaleas planted around downtown and they were all in bloom. Maybe the festival is to celebrate another year the gardners didn't kill the plants. Whatever the reason is, they put on a good show.

3 comments:

Poptart said...

Mmmmm.... cream honey.

Anonymous said...

Nice little video clip. What kind of camera?

I'm going to have to get out to more of these small town festivals. About all I seem to have time for are the big ones like Artisphere.

rakethetable said...

I love festivals.

The banjo bluegrass is one of my favorite to hear at said festivals.

a good picker is a hoot to watch and listen to.