Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Were You THAT Good?

We went to dinner last night with two other families. There were seven kids and six adults at the table. The kids were very well behaved. Several old people stopped at our table on their way out and told us how great our kids are. One old lady even came to the table and whipped out a photo album of her seven grandchildren. Then she started passing HER photos around OUR table. What made her think to take a full size photo album to dinner with her? And then SHARE them!

One problem with this restaurant is that they had no sweet tea. I asked the waiter twice about this. The second time he offered a bowl of sugar with some regular tea. No thanks. Back home you might struggle to find a place serving un-sweet tea. I went with water.

Throughout dinner, the waiter stopped by twice. Once to bring the meals out and one other time to refill drinks. The next time he came around he dropped the bill off. He brought it down to my side of the table where the three dads were sitting. The three of us just looked at each other. Who would pick it up? We were all paying our own. I picked it up, looked inside and put it back in the middle of the table. The number was too large for my mind to calculate. Why didn't the waiter split it up? Why wouldn't he even have asked about that? The three of us joked a few minutes about paying. One guy told his kids to get in the car and then excused himself to the bathroom. The other suggested that the first one to pick up the bill had to pay it. I just sat there in shock from the number I had just witnessed. The next time the waiter strolled by, one of the other dads asked him to split it up. The waiter took it and walked off. He didn't even ask how we wanted it split up.

Once I got my portion of the bill and paid, the waiter brought back my credit slip. The one where you can add tip. Cari said, "Don't give him anything." She was annoyed that her drink sat empty for so long during dinner. I knew we wouldn't give him "nothing," but he wouldn't get more than about ten percent.

I looked down the receipt. The line read "Additional gratuity." Additional? I reviewed the details. Sure enough, the guy had included a tip on the bill. He gave himself 18%. Woah. Is there a line to take some of that back? Maybe he included it because we were such a large group. Maybe it is one of those restaurants that just does that. Maybe he over heard Cari say that she wasn't giving anything. Maybe he thought he was just THAT good.

6 comments:

One Scrappy Gal said...

I don't know anything about the exciting world of being a waitron or if it's common to give yourself a big tip for a large party. I just wanted to say that the thing I miss most about living in the south for 10 years is the sweet tea you can find everywhere!! When I ask for it here in CT, they give me the same "it's unsweet but here's a sugar bowl to make it sweet" and I always say "no thank you" too. It's just not the same...

Judas

Poptart said...

You need to find out where the waiter lives and hide a cache in his backyard. Name it "18% MY ARSE"

Aaron said...

Apparently, it was not as good for you as it was for him.

*rimshot*

RoadRunner said...

I hate the "automatic gratuity". Gratuity is supposed to be a reward for good service. I usually tip somewhere around 20% for good service. There has been that rare occasion though in the tip line of the credit card slip I have written "get another job" for downright awful service.

Speed Seeker said...

Wow...18%? That's crazy. I agree with Cari, as I wouldn't have left a penny. Or just write a kind tip like roadrunner...I'll have to remember to do that. ;) Hope nothing was left after the gratuity was already 'built' in, or that you asked to take it off and left your own tip. What a bunch of buggers...Additional Gratuity??? Who do they think they are? lol

rakethetable said...

Pay with Cash - It can't happen to you if you do this. Haven't you people been listening to my dave ramsey comments. DANG!

20% is normal for GOOD service. A standard 10% is for poor. I just can't bring myself to stiff someone no matter how bad the service. My uncle - that's a different story. He's worth money - but don't slack off if he is at your table.

Of course - poptarts - idea is amazingly on track for this occassion.