Monday, February 16, 2009

Wii Buzz

I am so tired.  For the past few months, the Wii would make this horrible buzz noise anytime a disc was in the drive.  Especially if I played in the evening when the house was a bit quieter, this noise would drown out the sounds of the games.  

To fix the problem I ordered a tri-wing screwdriver from Japan and consulted the experts. . . yep, Youtube

Last night I took apart the Wii and found the offending piece of vibrating metal on the disc drive.  I followed the instructions and it cut 90% of the noise.  I got a bit greedy and went for that extra 10%.  

After my repair was complete, I put a disc in to check the sound level and I realized that something was HORRIBLY wrong.  The disc would only spin partially and then the Wii would shut down with an error message.  I BROKE THE WII.

I undid my fix and adjusted a few things and brought her back to life.  That was a very scary ten minutes sitting on the living room floor at one in the morning with a pile of parts around me.  

Next, I put the 90% fix back and did a test.  NO NOISE.   PERFECT.  I FIXED THE WII!
After putting it all back together I only had one extra screw, but I found a home for it after a quick review.  

Popped in a game and played for a few minutes without any buzzing.  

And that is why I'm so tired this morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job fixing it. I think you would have some very upset family members if that thing broke :-) My friends Wii makes that same noise and you can hear it all the way upstairs when her daughters are playing. Its horribly annoying.