Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Restaurant Review: sandwich edition

There are a lot of places that serve subs for lunch.  For me, I only eat out about once every two weeks so I want that sandwich to be a good one.  

Most times I will head over to Subway or Firehouse for lunch, but recently I have continued my mission to find great local restaurants to feed me as I avoid the chains.  
 
I headed over to Main Street Deli in Anderson and found the parking lot mostly empty.  I looked over the menu as the cashier waited to take my order.  Their sandwiches are named for the streets in Anderson and there is plenty to choose from.  I asked the cashier which one is the best.  She explained some of her favorites and I ended up with the River St sandwich.  Turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and blue cheese on toasted rye bread.  The sandwich comes with chips and a side.  There are four or five sides to choose from and I selected a cup of fresh fruit.  

It only took a few minutes before they brought my lunch to me.  The sandwich looked great.  Do you know how fast food places use fantastic pictures of their food for the menu and then your lunch looks nothing like that?  At Main St Deli, the food looks great.  They could have taken photos of the sandwich they served me for their menu, because it was perfect.  

The chips came with a dish of onion dip.  I didn't expect that and it is small touches like this that make this place a step above everyone else.  

It seems somewhat silly to write this review because there is roughly two people reading this that live close enough to eat in Anderson.  It's just that I was so impressed with Main St Deli that I wanted to take a moment and write about it.  I have eaten there several times now and each time the service was top notch.  The food looked great and it tasted even better.  

A friend at work said it was too expensive.  I spent nine dollars on the food I described above with a sweet tea.  Had I went to Firehouse I would have spent probably eight dollars by the time I got a drink and chips.  It's well worth a dollar to find a sandwich that tastes one hundred times better.  

If you ever find yourself in Anderson, South Carolina at lunch time, I strongly encourage you to find Main Street Deli.

No comments: