Saturday, June 20, 2009

Squirrel Feeder

I love to feed the birds. There is a bird feeder outside of the kitchen window that I keep filled year round. The birds really appreciate having a nice clean place to come have breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack, dinner, dessert, and more snack.

If you also keep a bird feeder then you understand the sense of responsibility that it brings. You will also understand the hatred in my heart for the squirrels that attack, yes - attack, the BIRD feeder. Squirrels haven't really posed a problem for me in the years that the feeder has been in its current location. There are plenty of squirrels in the neighborhood, but I have always believed that my dog has kept them at bay.

Last week I got a text from Cari, "Squirrel on feeder." When I got home the feeder that was full in the morning was now empty. The top had been disassembled and the contents spilled to the ground. With hopes that it was a one time deal, I filled the feeder back to the top.

Unfortunately for some very hungry birds, the feeder was emptied again by the next afternoon.

After dinner last night, I discussed this issue with Cari and the kids. Randy suggested I poison them but the girls thought that it sounded too harsh. I decided to post a warning to the invaders. I am going to post a sign that says, "Warning: POISONOUS to squirrels." At this time I won't actually poison them. This is just being posted as a warning. As I described my sign dangling from the bottom of the feeder, I demonstrated what a dead squirrel might look like. Cari said the sign will be more effective if I include this photo.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

lol...nice!

Aaron said...

I find a .22 rifle posted by the door with CB ammunition to be the most effective deterrent.

Poptart said...

That would scare me!