Monday, September 13, 2010

Hero or Villain

I saw this caterpillar in the parking lot next to my car a while back.  He is one of the fattest I had seen.  I couldn't help thinking about the beautiful butterfly he could become if he could escape the 100 degree surface of the lot.  Parked next to an island, I scooped him up with two sticks.  You didn't think I was going to touch it, did you?

Safely back among the plants, I felt a good deed had been done, and I left for lunch.

When I returned nearly an hour later he was again squirming on the black top.  Again, I scooped him up and placed him in the plants, this time closer to the center.

Thinking back, I wonder, was there a predator in those bushes? Perhaps he was desperatly trying to escape.  Sometimes when we feel we are being the hero, is it possible we are being the villain?

No comments: