Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Twitter Blog

So you don't understand Twitter.  It looks like a confusing mess of random statements about what people had for dinner.

Maybe you think that way because you haven't really tried Twitter.  I recently tried Twitter and quickly found it interesting and fun.

When I signed up I had a few people to follow.  Just a few from my blog that I could now see what they were eating for breakfast.  Myself, I had five followers.  Those five were the only ones that would see the things I write.  "What's the point?", I thought.

Then I started following some celebrities and things got more interesting.  Actors from Modern Family posting pics from back stage and actresses interacting with their fans.  Even an astronaut sending tweets from the International Space Station.

I was still bored with Twitter because there was nobody seeing what I wrote.  Interaction with people was low.  Until I saw Alyssa Milano suggest that everyone follow someone, which I did.

I exhanged a few messages with that person who told her hundreds of followers to follow me.  Instantly my inbox was getting filled with messages of new followers.  I found some for me to follow and a network of people spider webbed from that.

No longer is Twitter just about what's for lunch, but that is still included, now it is an on going conversation with friendly people from around the planet.  Here is a sample of the kind of people to be found:

A man with neighbors that sleep in their yard.

The woman in the midwest that can't leave work early because co-workers guard the doors.

A lady from TN who spreads a positive vibe to everyone as she listens to horrible music in the car.

A man from Australia that can predict the future from his job as a printer.

A woman living in Australia with two cats that rule the house as she rides the train to work.

An American military woman living in Germany.

That is just a few of the interesting people that I have found that make Twitter interesting and fun for me. 

Sometimes it is hard to wrap my mind around the concept of life on the other side of Earth. When I'm headed to bed and a picture from Australia daytime is posted it can be hard to imagine.  As we approach fall, they enter Spring.  I learned long ago that is how the Earth works, and I understand that, but now I see it in real time, learning from real people.  Technology is incredible. 

So there is proof that Twitter is more than just a jumbled mess of messages about what's for lunch.  When you're ready to try it, let me know.

By the way, I had a banana for breakfast @alyssa_milano

1 comment:

San said...

thats pretty much my experience with how i got started too. great entry. love it. i like seeing the photos too. i think thats why i post so many. its amazing to me still. and the photos personalise it. keep blogging my friend. its great. i enjoy the way you write. PS i had a black coffee for breakfast but no news there :-)