Saturday, May 21, 2011

Color By Number

Color by number.  When coloring the book the way you wanted was just too complicated.  Look at all the choices you had to make.  I think Crayola is to blame for this.  When they released their box of 96 crayons it just added so much stress to the children of the world.  How many blues does a kid really need anyway?

This theme of color by number has carried into our food selection now.  All the Mexican restaurants I have been to seem to use the same menu, and when I go in, I can safely order a combination #4.  Curious about what I like to eat?  Go to a local "hole in the wall" Mexican restaurant and order a Combo #4.   It's order by number at fast food too.  Even Chick-fil-a, a place with limited options (chicken) has numbered their menu. My choice on chicken is #1 in case you were wondering.

In some ways I like this numbering system entering into every part of my life.  Sometimes options can overwhelm me.  I recently complained about the options at Subway in this blog.  They really do need a numbering system!

One of my favorite topics to write about, because of the stress it puts on me, is getting a haircut.  It's a million questions by the same person every month.  Now I've started going to Great Clips because it's convenient.  The girls in there don't ask as many questions.  It's mostly, "what guard number do you want on the sides?"  Again, we have been reduced to color by number.  Over here, I go with a 4.

There are other areas of our lives that could be made simpliar with a great numbering system.  Imagine going into the grocery store and ordering a number one.  A number one is bread, eggs, milk.  The grocer would have a board near the front with about twenty combo numbers listed.  The combos will be pre-packed, and a teen age boy will bring your packs to the register as you call them out.  Simple.

How about trying to get in touch with someone?  Imagine being able to push a number in your phone and get. . . never mind.

What part of your life would be better with a numbering system?

No comments: