Sunday, June 03, 2007

A new shot!

I've had an idea for a photograph stirring in my head for a few days. Today I had a chance to try it. I'm still thinking of ways I can improve on it. Here's how it was done.

Park the car in the road at the end of the driveway and set up a tripod. The first shot, I was in the driver seat. I had the flash on the floor of the passenger side to light up my face a bit. The second shot, I climbed over to the passenger seat and put my head down. Again, firing the flash into my face. Cari was assisting, sitting next to the camera with the remote. As I got into position, she would hit the button.

The final shot was to lay on the roof of the car. Originaly, I thought I would have Cari use the leaf blower on me to simulate wind. I climbed onto the trunk and almost to the back windshield before I jumped off screaming. Cari looked at me kinda puzzled. The car was hotter than putting your hand on a burning stove. This would have to be a quick shot. No blower today.
I told Cari to get ready. I scrambled up the car as quick as possible. Layed on my stomach and I heard Cari take a shot. I lifted my hand to my hat. I heard Cari click about four more shots. I jumped off as quickly as I could. My shirt had moved a bit and I burned my stomach. Fifteen minutes after being off the car, my palms still hurt. Minor burns might be worth it, if I got the shot.

After loading the photos and picking the best of each shot, I merged them together in photoshop. Added some motion blur, and done.

I have some other ideas along the lines of this shot, but I'll wait for a cloudy day to try it. Click on the above shot to get a better look.

10 comments:

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

THAT IS EXTREMELY COOL! Be honest... are you getting the ideas from a book... OR are these ideas for your NEXT book?

Speed Seeker said...

SWEET PHOTO! I've always been impressed with you multiple personality shots. Now you have me tempted to try a similar idea with my car. ;) Unfortunately I'm not as proficient in Photoshop as you seem to be. Maybe I'll take some shots and send them to you for editing...hehe

Great Job!

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

YIPPIE! I'm glad you liked the Demetri Martin clip! Rachel and I laughed our heads off with the last joke about being tickled.

Anonymous said...

Very nice! You are very creative. What is Cari planning on doing with the shots of you scrambling off the car.

Duck Hunter said...

I always forget to respond to comments here.

I get a lot of ideas from looking at other photos. This shot came to me while driving home from work. A billboard for a car showed a guy standing next to the auto. I thought, "it'd be funny if he was on top"

Maybe a book next year.

The two or three shots of me getting off the car weren't that great. I checked again to see if any were worth posting. They were not.

d e v a n said...

That's awesome!

One Scrappy Gal said...

It was worth scalding your skin for! :)

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

I knew you were an original! Good work!

rakethetable said...

Very creative.

Good Job.

ScottAng (So.Cal.) said...

Nice work - I like that you get inspired and then do all the dirty work to make it happen! And by dirty, I mean dangerously scalding hot! Great use of the flash...Bravo, DH, Bravo! ;)