Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Win the Gnome!

My sister-in-law decided to start something during our family gathering.  No, she didn't start a fight.  She started a tradition.  During game night, the winner would take home a garden Gnome.  That family would decorate the Gnome and bring it back to the next family gathering where it would be back up for grabs.  As time goes on this Gnome will hopefully have more layers of paint than the Berlin wall and a bucket full of accessories.

She already had my attention when she mentioned a competition, but one with a prize?  Having a trophy takes competition to the next level.

Winning is everything.

The game was dominoes.  I was confident.  Becky polled everyone around the table to see how we wanted to pair up.  None of my kids wanted to be on my team.  After giving them a second chance to pair up with me, and after a second rejection from my kids, I put my game face on.  I'll show you to hang out with your uncles!  Who do you think taught them how to play anyway?
Winning is everything.

We played through several rounds and Becky kept score.  I was leading and gaining over second.  My confidence was growing with every round.  We sat in the corner of the lounge and I felt like telling everyone in the room how great I was, but I resisted.

The next round didn't go as good and my lead would soon be threatened.  That's when the bartender came over to tell us that nobody under 18 was allowed in the room after eleven.  I looked at my watch and it was eleven.  This would be the last round.  A winner would be declared and the Gnome would be hoisted in that persons arms.

I didn't win that round.  In fact I racked up a lot of points.  I was a bit nervous as Becky read the final results from last place to first.  It came down to Cari and myself for the win.  After a dramatic pause, it was announced that I beat Cari by a handful of points.  The Gnome was placed into my hands and I held him up high.  I smiled at my children whom had rejected me.  "In your face!", I bragged.
Winning is everything.

1 comment:

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

Great post! It was a fun night. Maybe I should have saved the gnome for the Phase 10 game we played Saturday night...the game that I won!