Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Beware of the SWEET tea

We have two pitchers of sweet tea in our refrigerator.
Sweet tea is something that we had not really discovered until moving to South Carolina. Sweet tea is part of Southern culture. Many places we went for lunch or dinner, do not ask if you want sweet or unsweet, when you order tea. I have even been in places that only make sweet tea.

We don't drink an obcene amount of tea in our home. So are two containers really called for?
Yeah. I took a piece of masking tape and I drew a skull and crossbones on it. To either side of the picture, I wrote, "Poison". I stuck this tape on one of the pitchers of sweet tea. The tape stays on that pitcher.

You are probably thinking that I reserve that labeled tea for certain visitors. You are wrong. I use that tea when pouring Cari a glass. Don't worry, she is fine. She knows I do this, and prefers to only drink that tea. The "poison" it contains . . . SPLENDA.

I do not like the idea of fake sugar. It's just chemical that you are adding to your body. I really felt very strongly against previous sugar substitues like sweet 'n low.
SWEET 'N LOW:
"Use of this product may be hazardous to your health. This product contains saccarhin which has been determined to cause cancer. . ."


Yeah. Give me some of that! Oh! But Splenda is different. It is really just sugar. In fact, from the SPLENDA website (i'm sure they are unbiased):
"Splenda no calorie sweetner is made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar"

Dig a little deeper and we'll find that the "sugar" is Sucralose.
Don't worry, they have done more than 100 studies to prove how safe it is in the past twenty years. That's a lot of proof.

Back to sweet 'n low. They really push the fact that saccarhin has been around and used for more than 100 years. On the front page of the saccarhin website, they say they have done more than thirty human studies. What? These guys aren't working as hard as Splenda. Only thirty studies in 100 years? Splenda has done 100 studies in twenty years.

BUT! Splenda is misleading you. They are being sued. The plantiff says [SPENDA]
"makes false claims and misleads consumers into thinking that Splenda contains actual sugar and is a natural product."


You know what. Just give me my SUGAR. I like how the sugar site describes the Splenda lawsuit that they support.
"Declares Splenda to be Highly-Processed Chemical Artificial Sweetner"

That is why we have two pitchers of sweet tea in our refrigerator.

No comments: