Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The noises in my head

I was thinking about this today.
When you turn on the radio, the music is there. Station after station of it. All these sounds are floating in the air, just waiting for you to turn on the radio.

When you pick up your cell phone. These signals are in the air, wherever you are.

When you watch satelite television (with TiVo), it's there. Hundreds of channells. The signal is in the air, floating about. My neighbor doesn't have the reciever, but signals are in the air.

These signals are not physical. The walls of our houses don't protect us from them. You can not reach out and grab a handful of rock 103 and shove it in the trash.

The science of it is very cool. It's amazing to me, all these things, how they work. If you don't have a radio or walkman, you don't realize the noise that is around you. You can be out for a quiet walk in the park, but the sounds and noises are still bouncing around your body.

The hardest part for me to grasp of this, is the fact that it is not a physical thing. I can't see it, I can't touch it. You can teach me about it all day, but until I can see it, I don't fully get it. If I was able to see it, I would probably be so scared, I would never leave my bed.

No comments: