Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Mask

Around Christmas time, we had attended a party. At the party we did a $10 gift exchange. The rules were, after drawing a number, on your turn you could either choose a gift or take one already selected by someone else. If you took one from someone, then they would choose another gift. None of the presents were unwrapped until everyone had something.

Cari and I had drawn a high number and were one of the last to select something. There was a LARGE gift bag that had still not been taken. It was the one I had my eye on since the beginning of the game. When it came my turn, I started to consider another, smaller, present. Normally, bigger is better. For some reason this smaller package had swapped hands about three times. It was clearly the most popular some unknown reason. For that reason, I left the largest present sitting on the floor and took the popular package from someone else.

When it came time to unwrap everything, I ended up with this mask:
This mask was hand carved in Guatemala. A wife of someone in our group was from there and had visited this past summer. She said some of the native people make these masks. I thought this was very cool. Much better than the beach towel hidden inside that LARGE gift bag.

2 comments:

John said...

I ended up with a candle. For an espresso maker. Hmmm.

Michelle said...

The grab bag is how I became the proud owner of hermit crabs.