Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Sunday Drive...er...hike.

We all went hiking on Sunday afternoon. I had been to this spot one other time but I didn't remember the trail being so long. It's only a little more than two miles in the mountains and woods. That wasn't really a problem. Even the four year old did a great job hiking in.

We went to see some waterfalls and when we got to the platform, Randy put down his backpack to pull out his binoculars. When he did, Meredith's water bottle fell under the viewing platform and rolled down the steep hill a bit. We couldn't get it. Meredith started crying. I would even say she was wailing.
Another couple walked out on the platform while we were still there. Meredith was looking down at her bottle. She had just quieted down a bit. She looked up at this stranger and started to tell him that her brother dropped her water bottle and now she couldn't have it. Her voice trailed off as the tears and crying started back in. The hiker suggested we use a fishing pole to get the bottle.What a jerk. Why would we be hiking in the mountains with a fishing pole? Now the girl looks to me like she wanted me to do as the stranger suggested. When I told her I didn't have a fishing pole, she started crying again. That guy must not have any children.

It was late in the day and we still had a two mile hike back to the car. That is when it started getting tough on the four year old. I had to carry her part way. Cari tried to carry her some too. Meredith was just a bit slow and we had to get out before dark.
The boy did a great job hiking but he admitted it was not easy. Next time we'll leave a bit earlier. Next time we'll also tether the new water bottle to Meredith's arm.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Adorable kids. I never thought to take my son hiking. Sounds like a great idea to tire them out.

Tammy said...

Adorable kids. I never thought to take my son hiking. Great idea to tire him out and get some fresh air. Maybe I will give it a shot.

Duck Hunter said...

He's the best hiking partner! Not only does it tire him out, but me too.