Monday, January 02, 2006

Where to roost?


As we watched a flock of red winged black birds attack our bird feeder this morning, Cari asked me a question.

"If you were a bird would you make your nest in the tree with the feeder?"

Before I answered her question, I had to ask myself some qualifying questions. What kind of bird would I be? An eagle or a sparrow? What kind of feeder hung on the tree? How often would it be filled?

We continued to watch these black birds devour the seed in that feeder and I decided I would rather build my nest in a tree next door. I could keep my nest secluded from visitors, but be close enough to the feeder to control what birds ate and what birds starved. Yeah, that's the kind of bird I would be.

I'd also be the bird trying to do the looping aerial acrobats.

2 comments:

John said...

Me, a hummingbird. Because I don't know the words.

Anonymous said...

I think I'd like to be an owl. LOL

Happy New Year! :)