Sunday, July 16, 2006

Revisit an old issue

Passwords was one of my first posts on this blog. I think my 2nd or third. If you care, here's a link.

This issue is still bothering me. It came up again today at work.
While I was at work with my itchy feet today, I couldn't remember my password to get on the computer. The company started a new policy about passwords.

When I started there ten years ago, your password could be pretty much anything. I used a four digit number. My birth year. I never, EVER, changed it.

Then the company changed their policy. Your password must be a minimum of 7 characters and contain numbers and letters. It didn't take long to find a loophole. At the prompt, you create a password that matched the rules. Once in, you hit the button to change password. THAT screen didn't force the rules. So, back to my birth year.

Last month, they re-implemented their rules. Loophole gone.

Now today a new set of rules. Password must be more than seven characters but no more than eight. Password must have at least one number and four letters. Password will change every thirty days and you can not reuse any of your previous five passwords.

I have a lot of crap to do at work. I do not want to sit there thinking up new passwords every freaking month. Then coming in after my days off trying to remember my password. This is getting out of control. I want my loophole back!!

I went in today. Tried a password, didn't work. Repeat that six times and I found myself locked out of the computer system. I had to track down a manager to reset my password. I hope I remember what my new one is when I go back tomorrow. Ugh...hackers have a better chance at my password than I do.

Wow...two posts for me in one day. That's a new one for me. Maybe I should have saved one for later in the week when I'm boring.

2 comments:

Speed Seeker said...

I used to take advantage of that loophole too, but alas, they did the same for me. I can't even over-ride it and I'm a network admin...lol I hate thinking up new passwords...Especially when they have to have numbers. Just be glad you don't work for the school board here...Can't repeat last 24 and have to change it every 28 days!!! Must have been a women that came up with that one...lol

Tammy said...

Nice-Thanx hun. At my work you have to have at least 8 characters mixed of #'s, upper and lower case letters, you have to change it every 30 days and never ever repeat it. I have to call the (no)HELP dest every 3 weeks or so because I get the passwords mixed up because we have to have 4 different ones at any given time. Sorry your employer is doing the same to you.