Thursday, July 27, 2006

Sing with Me

On Saturday afternoon, I went driving around with my camera. After not really finding anything great to photograph, I headed back home. As I drove through downtown, I noticed a large amount of folding chairs in the plaza. Also, the new stage was fitted with lights and microphones. After a few minutes of investigating I learned that Saturday evenings is the Liberty Idol competition.

LIBERTY IDOL!! In this small town, Liberty Idol seems to be as popular as American Idol. The contest started at seven. After dinner I took my family back to see some of the singing.

The place was packed. How awesome to see that many people down there! Everyone in town seemed excited about it. The mayor was there. The police brought out large fans to help keep people cooled down. They closed off half of commerce street.

Liberty Idol is complete with a host and three judges. In the time we watched, we didn't witness the judges arguing with each other or with the host. It also seems we lack a "Simon", because all of the judges were pretty gentle with the contestants.

The contestants range from young children to a middle aged woman that has only been in town for two months. One teen got up there with his guitar and played "Every Rose has a Thorn". He even played the guitar solo. While he was playing through it, a train passed by on the tracks one block away. Afterwards, one of the judges reminded him it was a singing competition, not a great place for a guitar solo. I didn't hear his entire solo because of the train whistle, but after the judges comment, I probably didn't miss anything.

Everyone in the audience can get one ballot sheet. At the end of the evening, you circle the name of your favorite and turn it in. That's a process that seems easier than trying to get through on the phone for two hours.

This is going to be running every Saturday evening through August. Unfortunately I have to work this Saturday night, but I can't wait to go back and place my votes. The winner does not get a record contract, but earns $1,000! The restaurant on the corner would probably give him/her a free Pepsi too.

Imagine eating dinner and the Liberty Idol winner comes in and sits at the table next to you. How would you react?

2 comments:

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

Not that the contest is bad or anything.... but I probably wouldn't react to the winner in public becuse its pretty unlikley that I would have seen it. I've only seen the real show once. Still, its a cute idea. And it seems a lot of people enjoyed going. My daughter loved American Idol. Mark and Kate voted and everything!
I think the coolest thing is going out and randomly discovering something fun. The summer is perfect for that, isn't it?

Tammy said...

Thats Cool. Maybe your kids will go up sometime thru the summer. That would be cute!!!