Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Progress on the cars

We've been working on our Pine Wood Derby cars the past few days. Here are some work in progress pictures. I'll post the finished product by Friday. Saturday is the race. I plan on taking the camcorder. I may not have the video up on Saturday, but by Sunday I should have it edited and ready for the blog.

Here's the shots so far:
Cari in her workshop, or as she calls it, the kitchen.This is Cari's car. She added some fishing weights to the front as headlights. The underside was drilled a little bit to glue in more of these type weights.

This is Randy's car. Window carved through it is the main feature here. You can see the metal plate screwed to the bottom for extra weight.

This is my Formula1 / Indy inspired car.
Here is the underside of my car. I had to hollow out almost all of it to add metal as weight. The car can weigh up to 5.0 ounces. The goal is to be as close as possible to that without going over. Before adding weight, my car was 2.0 ounces.

I'm adding some more weight to it tonight and then I'll be ready to paint.

I'm still counting on silencing all of you that are cheering for Cari. Also, we are not racing Randy's car against either of ours. I would not want my car to be faster than Randy's.
I hope to hear what kind of design Mojo comes up with as well.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay so educate me here because I'm kind fo dense, what do they slide on? Ooh and you have nice hands ;)

Anonymous said...

Very cool!!!! Good Luck to all involved!

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

The cars are cool and all but I see Cari sporting her Orange and Blue, so I'm on her side for now.

Becky and I went to Gainesville for the game to watch it in the O'dome with over 10,000 other people and flood University St shortly after the victory. We took tons of pictures and some video I'm sure becky will blog about it some time.

Go Gators!

Later, Grant

One Scrappy Gal said...

CARI!

CARI!

GOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo CARI!!

Oh and uhm... best of luck to you too. :)

Mojo Jojo said...

Maybe I should just have asked you to cut me one. Great job!

Can't wait to see the finished cars.

Anonymous said...

I like the style of your car...Looks impressive. Good luck to both you and Randy! Make sure you keep a good eye on your car in case of sabotage...hehe

Duck Hunter said...

Jen- the cars get wheels and go down a slope, then along a flat section. Thanks.

Tammy- Mostly good luck to me.
Grant- She didn't paint it orange/blue. She said after she read your comment she thought about it.

Scrappy Gal - I'll show you!

Mojo- video coming soon of finished cars and the race!

RJ- thanks. Love how you left Cari out of that comment... lol

Anonymous said...

Cool design, but when do you wind tunnel test...