Sunday, January 28, 2007

Table Rock

I have a few minutes to sit down and write before bed. Here's what happened on Friday morning.

It was around 40 degrees when we left the house. It was even colder when we got up to the trail head. Cari had gloves, something I did not. For Christmas, I got a pack of those Hot Hands warmers. You break the chemicals inside this packet and it produces a good amount of heat that you can put in your pocket. They work great to keep hands warm on days like this. Too bad I left those things on my dresser. MY HANDS HURT they were so cold.

The map of the trail said it would take 2-3 hours one way. It was 9:30am. We had to be back in the car around 1:30-1:45 to make sure we were home when the kids got off the bus. We knew we would have to get going if we were to make the whole trip.

About twenty minutes into the hike we realized how steep this was going to be. The steady climb up meant we were taking frequent breaks. Around half way up I offered to carry the backpack. Cari didn't hesitate to get that off her back.

At one point, the trail went up the side of a smooth, rock face. I started up what seemed like the right way. Then I lost grip and started sliding back to my starting point as Cari watched me. I got a hold of the rock and just sat there for a second, scared to move. Then Cari noticed a little trail to the side of this rock and walked right past me. I was laying like a turtle on its back. with the backpack, camera, and tripod strapped to my back, I laid on this rock for a minute. Finally, I gave up and slid the rest of the way down.

There are not many flat sections to the trail. As I was hiking, I kept looking up. Up at more rocks and more trees. That was always a reminder that the trail was still going uphill.

Walking among the trees on top of Table Rock we knew we were on top. Nothing was at higher ground then where we stood. We continued on past the summit to get a view from the side of the mountain. My goal was to get a picture of Caesars Head State Park. We have been to Caesars Head several times. There is a great view of Table rock standing at Caesars Head. Having reached my goal, I now have a picture looking back from Table Rock.

This is a picture taken from Caesars head. The lake on the left is at the base of Table Rock

This was taken from on top of Table Rock. You may need to enlarge this to see it, but the white rectangle in the center of this shot is a water tower. The rock below that water tower is the visitor center at Caesars Head State Park. The place you can stand out and see for miles.

There was a good amount of ice on the rock at the top. Water was flowing under the ice. It was one of the neatest things to watch. A picture would never show the movement of water and air traveling under the thin layer of ice. You'll just have to believe how cool it was. A few parts of the trail had ice on them. Enough to slow us down, but not enough to stop us. We took some photographs (roughly 40) standing up there. Then we realized it was noon. We were behind schedule!

Coming down was much easier. We also did it with some urgency. 7 miles round trip. 1,900 feet of elevation change. 3,100 ft above sea level at the top! The first goal was to reach the summit. The secondary goal was to view Caesars Head. Mission Accomplished (not like George Bush) for both!
Fall from here and you'll hit the ground in about 1,000 ft.

Tired at the top. Cari takes a break while I play in the woods.
We got home on time and both collapsed on the bed. Cari said that next week she was picking the hike, and it would be, ". . . around the block."

6 comments:

Speed Seeker said...

Those sure are some nice views. Glad you made it back with no incidents.

Tammy said...

I have to ask. What do you both do for a living that you are able to do all of these breathtaking hikes? I must be doing something wrong!!!

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

Looks like a great hike! =) Your missions were much easier to accomplish than the ones Bush is dealing with though. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I've already mentioned this, but I was born in WVa. You're photos always make me ache for the mountains.

I'd also like to know what you do to have free weekday time. Do you work on the weekends or something?

Duck Hunter said...

Yeah, I work most weekends. The benefit of this is being able to do things while the kids are in school.
The downside is I work most weekends.

Michelle said...

I thought you were on some kind of vacation too. I know pleanty of people who would pitch a fit having to work weekends, but maybe your excursions could help them think outside the box a bit.
Love the pics too.