Sunday, February 18, 2007

Career Day

I was asked to speak at a local elementary school for their career day. This was not something I really wanted to do. The several days leading up to it I was wondering how I could fill fifteen to twenty minutes of time. I was volunteered to speak to three groups of fourth graders. One of my goals was to emphasize the importance of school to them. This was the direction given by the school counselor.

As I drove to the school on career day, I thought about what I might say. That's right, I still didn't know what I was going to do. I signed in at the school office. I was early, so I found a quiet bench and started making notes. A volunteer came and got me within five minutes and took me to the class.

I allowed the kids to ask questions as we went. This helped with time, because hands were constantly being raised. After I described looking for high school graduates in applications, one boy asked me if I get to fire people. He pointed his finger and mimicked Donald Trump. "Sometimes we have to do that", I told him.

In each of the three groups, a girl raised her hand and asked if women work at my job. "Of course! We need cashiers." I told her.

Ok, I didn't really tell her that.

Some questions were personal questions like who is my favorite football team and what are my kids' names. I decided to be honest with all my answers and didn't hold back anything. Some of the questions were work related. This was my favorite:
"Do you cuss at people?" a boy sitting in the back asked me.

Keep it honest, I thought to myself. "Yeah, I do sometimes. But I try really hard not to." I think I caught the teacher to my side put her head on her desk as I answered his question.

After I completed my work, they gave me a small gift for coming. I got a key chain, a school pen, a school calendar magnet, a nice candle in a jar, and a great thank you card. I gave the candle to Cari. She likes to smell those kind of things more than I do.

8 comments:

Tammy said...

Ahhh The joys of being a parent!!

One Scrappy Gal said...

Good job on winging it!! Display your keychain proudly to all fortunate enough to gaze upon it!! :)

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

You're so funny! I get so tense before I have to give a speech in class (yes... I'm taking a speech class which I HATE). Good job for nailing it! And now you've got kids cussing to eachother (pretending to be you of course). Can't beat that.

jen said...

hey, at least you didn't curse at them.

GoGo said...

"Of course! We need cashiers."

If this is the last post on this blog i will assume cari knocked you into next week and your in the hospital - after reading that.

hah

Oh, congrats on that book!

Mojo Jojo said...

Love the post. Nice way to answer all those questions.

(PS: How hard did Cari hit you for that cashier remark?)

d e v a n said...

I bet the teacher just looooved your answer to the cussing question. he he

Michelle said...

I think roadies and clergy need to be included in career fairs.