Saturday, September 15, 2007

Catan

Europeans know all about board games. I'm not talking about Monopoly and Parcheesi. I'm talking about games like Ticket to Ride and even more specifically, Settlers of Catan. It seems like all the real good board games are coming from Europe. The good news is they aren't too hard to get.

I only have two problems with these games. Number one, time. Lack of it. Number two. Players, lack of them. The Settlers of Catan interested me the most, so I kept on reading and obsessing about it the way I do most new things. Then I found out about the Catan card game. A game designed for two players. I purchased it at a local game store in the mall. I don't think Cari was too thrilled about it at first. Maybe I wasn't able to describe it well enough for her. We played a few times and now we both love playing it. Most evenings, instead of turning the TV on, we'll sit at the table with our new game. The card game is so well balanced, it makes you really think about your next move. It makes me even more interested in the board game. The board game requires at least three players. So I'm going to keep waiting on that until a more opportune time.

Anyway. If you don't know much about modern board games, you really should check out Board Game Geek. There are so many great games you can't find at Walmart. Here's a link to the Settlers of Catan website.

This morning we did a lot of driving. Well, I did a lot driving. Had to take Cari back to Anderson where we left her car during the monsoon last night. Then I drove West toward Seneca where I dropped off my photos for the show. I used the house, the waterfall, and the mask. I re-framed the mask before taking it this morning. I was entry #34. The judge will evaluate all the photos on Sunday. Then they will mail me a card telling me the status of my three photos. I should have that by Wednesday. I decided to use the dandelion next time.

It was another thirty minute drive from there to get back home. After cutting the grass, I'm sitting here yawning. Procrastinating taking a shower. I stink.
Ok. Off to the shower. Enjoy your weekend.

1 comment:

Firefly said...

"Best board game ever!!!", We discovered about 2 years ago and ercently we started playing "Seafarers of Catan" as well and it is also "best game ever"!! Haven't tried the two person card game yet,sounds like something to put on my xmas list.