Sunday, September 30, 2007

Google WINS!

Randy had to choose a state and then list the state tree, flower, bird, and describe the state flag.

I told Cari this would be no problem, just go Google it and he'll be done in five minutes. She started talking about taking him to the library to look it up. I almost fell down. "For what?" I asked.

She said that he needs to learn to use the library. I am sure that I had a puzzled look, because that's how I felt. Why go to the library when you can type in _____ state flag and get your answer in about five seconds? But I didn't say that. What I said was, "You mean like using the card catalog?"

Now Cari started laughing. "There is no card catalog anymore," she told me.

She said it is all electronic. Just type in what you are searching for and it will give you a list of books.

I interrupted Cari's library lesson, "Then you have to wander the halls of the library looking for your book!"

"NO!" she shouted. "If you know how to use the library you can go straight to the book. That's why I want to teach him how to use it!"

After quizzing both children, I realized that their library time at school is not used to learn about using the library.

When I turned to walk out of the room, Cari was standing there with her "I told you so" look.

She and Randy got dressed and went to the library. About ten minutes later they came home. I met them at the door to find out how they did that so quickly.

"The library was closed," she said.

"Why don't you just type it into Google?" I asked.

6 comments:

jen said...

haha! I had a feeling it was something like that. I do think it's sad my 20 something year old sister doesn't know how to use the library, but at the same time, even knowing how to use it, I still use google for stuff like that.

So what DO they teach at library time, pray tell?

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

Ha Ha. I should have known. This time, I'm with you. I can say that because you KNOW that all through the summer, we went to the library once or twice a week. So hey. But it's because my kids love to read....lots and lots. But in terms of research, do what ya can online. It saves gas $ and time.

rakethetable said...

Have you seen the comercials for the improved www.ask.com They may have a winner over google. I typed in colorado and got all your information on the first page.

Colorado | Save
Governor: Bill Ritter (D)
Capital: Denver; Population: 4,601,403
Statehood: August 1, 1876 - 38th state admitted
Nickname: Centennial State; Motto: Nil Sine Numine (Nothing without Providence)
State Bird: Lark Bunting; Flower: Rocky Mountain Columbine; Tree: Colorado Blue Spruce
State Song: Where the Columbines Grow

Awesome

One Scrappy Gal said...

Do they even use the dewey decimal system there anymore?

Michelle said...

If the computers at school are down all heck breaks loose. Honestly the library is really only used for net access.

Mojo Jojo said...

Did you know that you don't even have to go to the library anymore - or at least not our local one? Our local library now as an Internet link and you can search right then and there AND reseve your books...All on-line.

Somebody remind me why there are still libraries?