Sunday, September 23, 2007

Downtown Go Round

Friday night Cari and I went down to Seneca for the opening of the Juried Photography exhibit. We parked downtown and walked three blocks to the Blue Ridge Arts Council where the show was. It was really cool to have three of my photos hanging among some really amazing pieces. There were a lot of people in the gallery.
We hung out at the gallery for almost an hour looking over the works and waiting to see the award ceremony. While we were there, I recognized a woman in the room. Her name is Dede, and I only knew her through her photos on flickr. I walked up to her and said hello. She turned to look at me and immediately said, "Duck Hunter!" It was kinda funny to me.

Dede, Cari, and I talked for a bit and took some pictures. Dede is really cool and full of energy. She introduced me to her mom and another woman who help run the gallery. They told me how picky the judge was in choosing the photos for the show. I am really proud that all three of mine made it in. I had never tried anything like this before and I was hopeful that at least one would get accepted. Although I didn't receive an award, I was not disappointed.

Cari and I left the Arts Council and headed back downtown. All the shops were open for this special event called "Downtown Go 'Round".

The crowd in Seneca is different than the people at home. Seneca is full of upscale art stores and antique stores. Every store we went into had trays of fruit and cheese. One store had the strongest smell of wine. A bunch of uppity-ups filled these shops.
There was one art gallery displaying the photos that were not accepted into the Juried Show. A lot of these were equally as good as the ones in the show.

Being a part of this show taught me a lot about how these things work, and I was able to see some great photos. It was interesting being downtown and being witness to a different culture than we have thirty minutes down the road. Mingling with the uppity ups is not suited for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being excepted into the show. That is so awesome.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Is this a competition? Do you get to win a prize?

Duck Hunter said...

The juried show is a photo exhibit judged and awarded 1st, 2nd, 3rd prizes. I did not win.

rakethetable said...

It's these social events we must attend to spread our wings and grow.

Congrats to being in the show. Now, go out and win the next one for the gipper.

Michelle said...

Duck ~

When is Cari due again. I keep checking daily, and its like an alarm clock waiting to go off. The anticipation is mounting for me.

Thanks,
Michelle

Mojo Jojo said...

Oh wow, displayed in a show. Congratulations! I think just making into the show is a great reward. Who needs a stupid little trophy? LOL