Thursday, September 13, 2007

So it has come to this. . .

I went downstairs for one of my favorite breakfast foods, a toasted bagel. I opened the breadbox and couldn't find the bag of bagels that was there last night. I hollered to Cari, "where's the bagels?"

She told me that Randy ate the last one.

"I want a bagel.", I grumbled. The boy also likes bagels, and we often compete to get the last one. Today, he ate the last one before school, while I slept. I told Cari that I was going to start my own stash of bagels. To protect them from the kids. She suggested that she would just buy more at the store. I wasn't convinced that would solve the problem.

Then she laughed a bit. When I asked her to explain her laughter, she said that Meredith was hiding some candy from me the other day after school. "Hide it so dad doesn't eat my candy.", Meredith told her. I don't even eat Meredith's candy (all the time), so I don't know why she would say something like that.

"Oh. So it has come to this.", I said, still looking into the breadbox, "This family is all about hording and hiding food from each other. How far we have come since the cavemen."

2 comments:

One Scrappy Gal said...

I hate to admit that I hide treats from my kids. Behind boxes in the pantry and eat them after they go to bed. The husband too. Every so often you hear him exclaim "HEY... where did these peanut butter cups come from?!!" Then I know I have to hide them somewhere else!!

rakethetable said...

Yes, just like your bagel issues, sometimes blogs are about the writer. We have needs and we come here to write and vent about them. I have needs and those needs are to lose myself in reading blogs. Your need is about endulging in yankee food.

I don't eat bagels. Bread should be soft and melt in your mouth. If it is hard and crunchy, it's time to throw it out.