Saturday, December 24, 2005

Here, kitty, kitty!

The cat has been in a tree for six days. A very tall tree. Without many low branches.
Not my cat. Not my problem.

She was getting upset about this situation, so I offered to help. Don't think for a minute I'm actually going out to get the cat. I'm just the idea guy.

She called the fire department. Can you believe she actually called a fire department to get a cat from a tree? They laughed at her and told her they don't rescue kittens.

Next she called animal control. They also do not retrieve cats from very tall trees. They did offer her a piece of advice. They told her the cat would come out of the tree when it became very hungry.

She has an extension ladder leaning against the tree, still keeping the kitty out of reach. She opened a can of cat food and placed it on the top of the ladder. Still no cat.

That's when she asked my advise. First, I had to draw a picture to help visualize this situation.(click for more a larger version-well worth it to see my artwork)

My first suggestion, and probably my best, was to throw rocks at the cat.
"Throw rocks at my kitten?", she screeched.
"You want the friggin' cat out of the tree or not?", I replied as I tried to knock some sense into her. I didn't suggest she throw a boulder at the cat. Just some small rocks aimed at the cats body.

She called home and reported my theory, but he laughed. My idea was obviously better than what he had already done, because his cat was still in the tree.

Before I ended the conversation, I suggested tying a noose in a rope and yanking the kitten from the tree. That idea was not welcomed.

Several days later I stopped to talk to her again. "How's your kitten?", I asked.
She told me it had come out of the tree. When she went home he climbed the ladder armed with a pool net. One on a long pole. He essentionally knocked the cat out of the tree. She claims the cat caught itself on the way down and is now safely on the ground.

Two hours later her dog chased the cat back up the tree.

1 comment:

John said...

heh heh
Great story, wonderful kicker.