Thursday, December 01, 2005

My what a big nose you have!

On my street lives a nosy neighbor.
In my house lives a nosy neighbor.
Cari is a nosy neighbor.

Ever since Yankee and his ugly wife moved in two doors down, Cari has played the role of investigator. Any time Yankee is outside, Cari finds an excuse to be out there. Just so happens she is checking her mail as he walks past the house. Doesn't matter what is going on, Cari will drop it all if Yankee or the ugly wife is outside.

This happened three times in about two days.

The climax of this behavior happened just the other day. Cari saw Yankee knocking on the door across the street. Cari ran out, being a good neighbor, to tell him that nobody was home. Then she ran out to engage him in conversation. Yankee told her that he had repainted the boys room for his son. Trying to gain entrance to the house, Cari showed great interest in the painted room.

Our friends across the street (that were not home) needed to deliver some papers to the Yankee later in the day. Cari told our friends that she wanted to go with them to Yankee's house. That afternoon, Cari and I were putting up Christmas decorations on the house. I was hanging out of the upstairs window and Cari was on the ladder outside. The friends started to walk toward Yankee house. Cari didn't notice until they were already in the driveway. Cari left me hanging in the window, started shouting at our friends, and RAN across the neighbors yard to catch up. All of this was in an effort to gain entry to the Yankee house and see what was happening inside.

I'm not really sure what she expected to see. Perhaps Yankee lives like some freak, and we could open his house as a museum. More than anything, she was just being nosy. My wife, the nosy neighbor, came back to the house and climbed up her ladder facing me.
"She wouldn't let us in.", she said in disgust.
"The baby was sleeping in that room.", she continued.
I looked at her and saw the disappointment. She made every effort, and was denied.
"Cari", I said, "You are THE nosy neighbor."
After she told me I was wrong, I started to present her my case.

She realized as I was speaking that there was some truth to what I was saying. She told me at that moment on the ladder that she was NOT going to be a nosy neighbor.

Now I am proud to tell you that I am the husband of a REFORMED nosy neighbor. A FORMER nosy neighbor.

Now we get all the gossip from our friends across the street. The true nosy neighbors.

1 comment:

Duck Hunter said...

I won't be posting any pictures, so you'll have to use your imagination. Thanks for the comment.