Monday, December 12, 2005

Saturday was a good day. I went out and took some pictures for a while at the mill. When I got home, Cari and I got ready to go to Greenville. We had a great time walking around downtown. I saw this guy there again. He was in the same spot, still playing violin. I wanted SO badly to take his picture again, just as an update. Unfortunately he had one eye on me the whole time and I didn't want to take his picture and run. I also didn't want to give him any money.

Cari said we had to be home at 6:30 because the neighbor that had Meredith was having company and we had to pick her up. We got home right at 6:30. It was dark, and sure enough, there were a ton of cars across the street. Before leaving the house, I intentionally turned the Christmas lights on and now they were off. Maybe the power went out.

Cari and I were walking up the steps and the dog was jumping all around my feet. I started to cuss at the dog and push her out of my way as I unlocked the door. When I opened the door, I flipped on the outside light. It came on, so now I wonder what happened to my Christmas lights. I take a step inside and look down the hallway. There were no fewer than four people standing in my bedroom.

At first, I thought it might have been the neighbor getting something for Meredith. Then I thought I recognized one of the faces as someone from church. I took another step in as I stared ahead. Then it happened. . .

Lights pop on and,
"SURPRISE!"

I look behind me for Cari. What are they surprising her about? When I started to go into the kitchen, I saw this:my good friend, Rick.

Then I knew this was about me. There were banners and balloons all with the number 30. I was in total shock. I was speechless.

I like having attention, but I don't necessarily like being the CENTER of attention.
Cari and Rick had planned this surprise birthday party for several weeks. I had not a single clue any of this was going to happen. Cake, cookies, cards, etc. . . it was really cool.

Lots of friends were there, and it was awesome. As I sat down to blow out the candles, I looked up at Rick who was behind me. "You were helping plan this for me while I was doing all that stuff at work?", I asked. He laughed a bit and said it was true. All the "stuff at work" is the barrage of practical jokes I tortured him with all week. More details about that will be posted soon.

I didn't really come out of shock mode until Sunday morning. It was really awesome. All the while, Cari kept saying the same thing to me,
"I got you so good!"
Thank you to everyone that was there. I really appreciate it. Especially thank you to Cari and Rick, you guys are the best! It was a great night!

3 comments:

Miranda said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Jeez, you're old :)!

GoGo said...

Yeah, your an old fart!

And you smell!

Congratulations and good luck and all that stuff.

Willy Jo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.