Friday, December 28, 2007

Cow Milk

Did you know that a cow has to give birth to produce milk?

You probably did. Not me. For some reason, I always thought that cows just produced milk. It was one of their jobs. Just an endless supply of milk.

Recently, I was talking to a former dairy farmer and he was talking about constantly breeding the cows to keep them producing. I didn't let on to my ignorance. I just nodded my head as if I was saying, "of course!" The farmer talked about keeping very careful records about pregnancy, birth, and milk production. Due to the aggressiveness of bulls, they impregnated their cows artificially.

I got home and Cari was breastfeeding the baby. I shared my new knowledge with her. "Did you know cows work like people? They have to give birth to produce milk too."

She just stared at me. Either she just learned something new or she couldn't believe I just figured it out. I'm not sure which one it was and I wasn't going to ask.

6 comments:

Speed Seeker said...

Well then...I didn't know that either. I too assumed cows just produced milk. I wonder if cows are as crabby as some pregnant women get...hehe

rakethetable said...

Well, if you are like me and not living on a dairy farm - then you probably never really thought about it. It does make sence. Reminds me of the dirty jobs episode where Mike inserts his arm to find out if the cow is pregnant. That's dirty.

Mojo Jojo said...

I actually knew that.

Eeeewwwww...on the inserting arm part there.

rakethetable said...

Sure send it on 2
rake
the
table
at
yahoo
dot
com

no spaces or anything of course.

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

Ummm... I guess I knew it about humans...but NOT cows. So all those thousands of lined up milkin' cows just gave birth? What a crappy life, right? Thanks for the nifty fact though. Hopefully, I'll use that info. someday to keep from looking like an idiot. But that might not work. Tee Hee Hee. Happy New Year!!!

Aaron said...

I only knew cuz I grew up in da kuntry.