Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I ate it

Have you ever had someone offer a unique food that you've never had before?

First, they offer it to you and extend a handful of the substance your way. You look at the food and then up at the person. You don't take any and you don't say anything. You're probably thinking of ways to politely refuse.

Next the person eats some of the food to show you it won't induce vomiting and it won't kill you instantly. They normally will over exaggerate their enjoyment of this substance. In my case, it was cheese curds. He stood in front of me squeaking his cheese curds with a big smile. It really looked like he was having fun eating them.

Then his hand, holding a bag of curds, came my way again. I took one into my hand. Immediately, he says, "No, you have to take a handful. That's the way to eat curds."

I don't know. I'm already on the edge of even tasting them, and he's asking me to fill my mouth with them. I took two pieces.

Cheese curds are created during the cheddar cheese making process. It's my understanding you will only find good cheese curds in Wisconsin or near a cheese producing facility. Cheddar cheese is aged from thirty days to a year depending on the sharpness. Curds are not aged. They are taken straight off the vat. They don't age and don't have that sharpness at all.
One of the other differences from cheese that I noted is the texture.
Most cheese has a clay like texture. Curds are shiny. They are irregular hunks of cheese with a high gloss. A rubbery texture. They squeak against your teeth. Also, you eat curds warm or room temperature. AFTER I ate some of these curds he told me they had sat on his kitchen counter since the previous day. I don't know how I feel about leaving cheese lay out for a day before eating it.

The final stage of receiving a new food happens as soon as you pop one in your mouth. The person offering this new food, wants to ensure that you also enjoy it. A lot of times, they will let you chew it and swallow it before they ask if you like it. Most likely they will stare at you with interest while they wait.

I finished my first bite and thought about it. Cheese curds are good! I took a few more out of the bag and squeaked them in my mouth. When I got home I asked Cari if she wanted me to try and get some for her. She said, "Absolutely not."

So for those that haven't had any, I recommend you try them if they are ever offered to you.
For the five or so that have had them, did you like your curds?

9 comments:

One Scrappy Gal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
One Scrappy Gal said...

I'm a curd virgin myself but.. do they really squeak when you eat them? Like a mouse? The mouse that eats the cheese?

d e v a n said...

glad you liked them...

Firefly said...

In canada one of our "national" dishes includes cheese curds, gravy, and french fries, very good stuff. They don't squeak in that dih=sh since they melt into the gravy and make a wonderful coating for the fries, sounds strange but so good. I haven't ever eaten by themselves warm, we usually keep ours in the fridge but I like them(haven't had them that way for awhile).

Anonymous said...

I had them once as a kid, and ate so many at once that I just couldn't stomach another ever.
Thus proving that indeed you can have too much of a good thing!!
Just a friendly caution.

Michelle

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

I also like a good cheese curd or two. Squeaky and yummy! At Culver's you can get fried cheese curds. Do you have Culver's down south? We DON'T have Sonny's or Sonic. Bummer, right?

Duck Hunter said...

Yeah, they really squeak. Maybe not like a mouse, but like a balloon. What? You have never chewed a balloon?

You're right, Abbie, we don't have that down here. But Sonic is great!

Firefly- that does sound really good.

Mich- thanks for the warning.

Mojo Jojo said...

So did you know all that before you ate the curds or did you find out about it after?

I think I would try, if I wouldn't know about the squeaking part though.

"You have to try something at least onece", I used to say. Getting older now, I don't know about that.

Aaron said...

Never had them.

Octopus is probably the most bizarre thing I've ever eaten.