Thursday, December 13, 2007

Not Lost Yet

I went out driving around the other day with my camera. It was one of those times that as I went, I would make random turns. I ended up finding some really pretty country. A lot of horse pastures and a few big houses. After about thirty minutes I decided I had to stop because I was beginning to forget which roads I had taken. I figured I would eventually make it back to the main road, but I didn't want to end up on the other side of the county when I did.

I didn't find too many opportunities to take photos. One time I stopped in the middle of the road to check out an OLD barn that was down in the woods. As I got my camera out, I looked in the rear view and saw a guy standing in the road watching me. He was about a quarter mile back. I kept getting my stuff ready until a car approached from behind me. This was a small road with no shoulder, so I decided to skip the photo and moved on.

The one shot I did take was of this horse pasture:When I got home I didn't think this was a great shot. So I started playing with it in Adobe Lightroom. First I cropped it. I didn't want as much sky in the shot and the house on the left was distracting. I kept the horse off to the right third of the shot.

Next, I played with the idea of black and white for this. I didn't like the complete black and white, so I went back to color and started to de-saturate all colors one by one. I took all the color out except for red and orange. Next I went to a section called split tone. It allows me to change the light area tone separate from the dark area tone and then adjust the balance of each. I played with it to get the look I wanted. Although the day I took this was unseasonably warm, in the 70's, I wanted this to have a very winter feel. This process took about fifteen to twenty minutes. Here's what I ended up with.

I was pleased with the results. I believe this shot is a lot more interesting compared to the original. With the software that is available, you can change a photo in endless ways. Sometimes, changing a photo can be as much fun as taking it.

8 comments:

rakethetable said...

very good work!

Great photo.

d e v a n said...

It's amazing what photo software can do! I agree that the 2nd is more interesting than the first.

Aaron said...

Nice transformation.

That's a one-horse pasture. :D

One Scrappy Gal said...

I have much to learn about changing photos to make them look better. I'm still trying to figure out how to add a watermark to my pictures that I post online! :)

Firefly said...

Have you seen this blog?
http://thepioneerwoman.com/

She just did a post/tutorial about different photoshop "tools" she likes and I really like the results she gets.

Duck Hunter said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Firefly, thanks for the link. I had not seen that blog before. I just read her post about photoshop with the barn. Very interesting. Thanks.

One Scrappy Gal said...

I just wanted to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Hope you have a great day. :)

Melba said...

Well I'm here to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY too!! But I also wanted to comment on the photo of the horse, very nice and I agree that the second photo is more interesting that the all-color version. It is amazing how much you can do--that's what I always used to love so much about working in the darkroom, the endless possibilities! And now we have similar capabilities on the computer...pretty amazing how far it's all come in so short a time.

Hope you have a great day today!

Melba