Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Another Photo Show

Last week I submitted two more photos to another show. The theme of the show is "Captured Imagination". A few weeks ago I went through several ideas for the show. I even spent a day shooting for my idea. The result was not good and I felt like I wasted a day. Then I started thinking that captured imagination does not require photoshop. It just needs a certain type of shot. I scanned through some shots from the past year and found about ten I thought would fit. I narrowed it down to three and Cari picked the final two. I spent a day buying some frames and mats. For Christmas, I received a mat cutter and some other tools to do the job myself. Two nights before I had to submit the photos, I was sitting on the floor cutting out the mat. The first one was not easy, but it turned out pretty good. When I started the second one, it was around 11pm. My cut went off line and ruined the entire piece. The next day I was at the store buying another mat.

After submitting the photos, a judge decided what pieces got accepted into the show. I got a card in the mail yesterday telling me that one of mine got accepted. The funny thing is, it was not the one that Cari and I felt was better of the two. Here's the two shots that I submitted. I didn't make time to photograph the framed shots, so you just get the photo.
The wedding shot has a white mat with a wide black frame. The railroad shot has a light tan mat with a oak frame. The railroad shot "Around the Bend", is the one that got accepted.

Friday night, Cari and I will be at the opening of the gallery. I'm pretty excited to see what else made it in. The show is not just photography. It was open to all mediums, both 3D sculptures, and 2D framed art. I'll let you know how it goes.

9 comments:

Melba said...

Wow, congrats! I think it's so awesome that you're putting your work out there and it's being accepted! As or the mat cutting...that's a job I HATE and basically refuse to do. Even with the huge, professional mat cutters at school it's not easy.

Firefly said...

Way to go!

One Scrappy Gal said...

Congrats!! Hope you win!!

d e v a n said...

Congrats! They're both beautiful.

RoadRunner said...

congratulations on the entry. both are very good pictures. can't wait to hear how it goes.

Speed Seeker said...

Way to Go...Congratulations. Sorry to hear about the mat and have fun at the show. Looking forward to hear how it went.

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

GOOD FOR YOU! That's something to be proud about! I'm proud for you. Do you have a chance to "win" anything at the showing? You know.... like MONEY? If so, I hope you win.

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

That's pretty cool! Good job!! I like both of the shots, but the railroad one seems more unique.

Anonymous said...

Great Job! Your awesome :)