Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bread, Milk, and Eggs

We had a winter storm warning last night and today. We may get one snow a year. Cari went to the grocery store yesterday morning and said it was packed. I've learned there are only three things you need when a possible ice/snow storm is approaching.

1. Bread
2. Milk
3. Eggs

Apparently, if you get trapped in your house, it will only be for the duration of one breakfast. I always thought these emergency supplies were in case you lost power at home. If that's the case, your milk will spoil and you will have to eat raw eggs. Doesn't it seem you would be better off buying nonperishable items? When we lived in Florida and were preparing for a hurricane you would buy;

1. Bread
2. Peanut butter
3. bottled water

Even though it doesn't make sense, I swear Cari came home with bread, milk, and eggs. She claims she was going to buy those items storm or not. I'm not so sure.


Sure enough, around seven last night, it started to snow. I was at work until around ten. Driving home was not that bad. There isn't much traffic on the roads I take and it wasn't icy. Just some slush and snow.
It's pretty exciting because we will only see this once a year in most cases. This morning school was canceled and I already have the day off from work. I was out by eight throwing snow balls with the kids.
Then I drove out to the Hagood Mill to see what kind of pictures I could come up with. It was raining out there, so I didn't stay too long. When I got home I found the kids sledding down the hill. I joined them for a while and made a snow man. Did you realize how HEAVY snow is? It took two adults to pick up the middle section.
I made some video sledding down the hill and crashing into the trees. I hope to get that put together soon.
We didn't even have eggs for breakfast this morning!

5 comments:

Aaron said...

You must already be stocked on toilet paper. ;)

d e v a n said...

I never understood the milk and eggs part either. I'd rather have something i can actually eat if the power goes out.
We got snow here too, but not nearly that much. It didn't stick.

Anonymous said...

You should have at least had a big country breakfast with everyone home.

Anonymous said...

Awww....Brenna's first snow : ) Cool snowman. I bet the kids had a blast sledding and playing in the snow.

Duck Hunter said...

I was hoping you would have come over to make us breakfast, Rake. When you never showed up, I ate some toast.