Saturday, January 05, 2008

Upstate Geocaching

I had a great day today. Rake, his daughter (Little One), and Roadrunner drove up to my area for a day of geocaching. We got started around 8:30am.

At one of our first finds of the day, Little One was having a hard time opening the container. She handed it to Roadrunner. He also was having a hard time opening it at first. That's when Rake suggested that a man open it. Little One gave a quick look around and said, "Where's a man?"
We all felt much better about ourselves after that.

Another one of our earlier finds was at this location:

We would discover, after some amount of searching, that the cache was under our feet. It turns out that Little One was standing on it during this picture. The cache was not a plastic container, but one of those hollow rocks you would hide a key in. It blended in perfectly. So much, that when Roadrunner started digging through the rocks a bit, he tossed the cache to the side.

The white cup Rake is holding in this shot came from a scary convenient store that I hope Roadrunner will tell about in his blog. He took some photos in that place. I'll tell you that it wasn't the entire shelf of bagged pickles that scared me most.

One of my favorite views of the day was this old bridge.

A metal structure with a timber floor, coated with asphalt. The bridge is in the woods near the existing bridge. I would not have ever seen the old bridge just by driving past. Thank Geocaching for this find. The bridge is covered in trees and briers. We crossed the bridge then had to make our way down a steep slope. I know this picture may not make it look very steep, but trust me. I was holding every tree branch to not slide the whole way.

Roadrunner found the one near the bridge very quickly.

On our way out, we had to push through some nasty vines and bushes.

After lunch, Rake decided to build a bird house. By hand. With no hammer.
You can see he was very proud of it.

Thanks to Rake's excellent planning, we were able to track down 16 caches today.
The four of us all had a great day. I really appreciate the three of them driving so far to spare me from a long trip. It was great to meet you guys, we'll have to get together again. And really, I don't mind driving. I can come your way too.
I'll end with this picture that shows a common theme in our day. Little One getting surrounded by cameras as she does our dirty work of fetching and re hiding the caches.


7 comments:

One Scrappy Gal said...

I feel like I'm watching a tv show and there are guest appearances being made by other stars! I just say that becuase I read The Rake too and now I feel like worlds are colliding!! Just kidding! Sounds like a great day! If we ever find ourselves shipped back to SC we'll have to get together too. I'm not really the outdoorsy type...but there's always the Wii!! :)

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

Looks like you had a fun time! Next time Grant and I come up we'll have to do one of these geocaching trips! =)

rakethetable said...

Thanks Duck for the invite. We really did enjoy our day in your neck of the woods. We will have to do it again.

Happy Hunting.

rakethetable said...

oh yeah, I am "borrowing" one of your photos for my blog.

d e v a n said...

Sounds like the great time! Love the pics.

RoadRunner said...

enjoyed the trip. hope we get to do it again soon.

Aaron said...

Little One gave a quick look around and said, "Where's a man?"

I would expect such wit from Chip's gene pool.