Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Ride

For our anniversary this year, we went on a horse back ride. Neither one of us had ever been riding before and we weren't sure what to expect.

After checking in and signing papers that prevents us from suing them, I was lead into the stable area. I was introduced to a huge horse named Goliath. I was told to lead him out. Goliath snorted at me as I entered his personal space. I let out a small laugh.

As I took charge of an animal that could stomp me to death at any moment, Cari was getting to know her horse for the day, Maggie.

We went to a small ring to practice riding and giving the horse direction. Goliath was a retired carriage horse from Charleston and was very easy to ride. My first thought was to hold on tight, but as I got comfortable, I loosened my grip.

Cari and Maggie developed a different relationship. Cari was instructed by our guide, "Get her to walk by kicking your heals in." I watched Cari attempt to kick. The horse stood motionless. "Kick! Kick! Kick! Don't stop!", hollered the guide. Cari bounced in the saddle as she kicked the horse. Finally, the horse began to walk. I believe this was more because of the horses desires, not Cari's.

We went for about an hour ride through some trails and woods on the property. This included some up and down on steeper hills. We didn't have any incidents or injury on the trail. The horses behaved well and we had an outstanding time.

Riding horses is a blast.

Here's a few photos from the day. It was REALLY hot that day.

4 comments:

Farm Girl in MD said...

That looks like fun!! The last time I rode a horse I was at camp around age 12. The horses were trained to walk in a line, so it wasn't real exciting.

d e v a n said...

cute pics! I've never been much of a fan of horse riding. I think they can tell I'm not the boss, so they do whatever they want...

Firefly said...

Looks like a great day, how did you feel the next day though?

rakethetable said...

Cute Helmet.

Where's the face guard?