Monday, May 18, 2009

Champion!

When two opponents match up in a game multiple times how many wins does it take to be declared the champion? 

Two in a row?  That may be just luck.  
Three in a row?  Sounds like a trend, but does that make you a champion?
Four in a row?  When you win four in a row you may want to jump up on the table and start fist pumping in front of your opponent, but I wouldn't recommend it.  

At what level can you print out a certificate that says you are the ultimate champion and then have the loser certify it by signing the loser column?  

When I won my fifth game in a row of Carcassonne against Cari I was ready to print out my champions certificate.   I had already jumped up on the table and did my dance after the fourth win and Cari said it wasn't over yet.  

It turns out that you can't declare yourself the champion until the other person surrenders to your domination.  Unfortunately for me, Cari wasn't willing to submit to my awesome game play.  There would be no signing of the certificate. . .yet.  

Game six began, and if I'm being honest, I was a bit nervous.  Cari and I are pretty evenly matched in this game and at some point she was going to get me.  She had become very frustrated after her fifth straight loss and winning a sixth may push her to declare me the champion.   This game was big.  Her morale was low and my confidence high.

Cari took an early lead but I fought back bit by bit.  Throughout the entire game it felt like she was in control, but she couldn't seem to ever gain a large lead.  During the final scoring I came up a few points short of the win.  

This felt like a major defeat to me and a huge victory for her.  Then I reminded myself that she hasn't ever beat me FIVE TIMES IN A ROW!  

2 comments:

rakethetable said...

She got lucky!

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

That is an adorable pic of you two!!