Friday, May 05, 2006

1,683 Feet above the sea!

Walking up to the top of Stone Mountain means following a 1.3 mile trail over the granite surface.
From the top we were able to see the buildings in Atlanta. It was a bit hazy the day we went and the picture doesn't show the buildings as clear as I had hoped. Atlanta is roughly 15 miles away from the park. Randy and I had hiked this trail in dense fog the last time we visited the park. This time all four of us decided to head up.

So how do you get a four year old to walk 825 ft up a mountain?
You dangle a carrot in front of her. We replaced the carrot with a piece of candy for better results. "When we get to the top you can have a piece of candy.", we continuously reminded her.

We went to the hallway that is formed between two huge rocks. In the hallway is "gum rock". Seems every hiker that has ever taken this side trail left their gum stuck to it. Last time Randy and I left an 'E' and a 'C' made of gum on the rock. When we returned we found our green 'E', but the 'C' was gone. Maybe someone ate it. We came prepared with sticky, sugary, gum and all four of us made a blob of chewed gum next to the 'E' that Randy and I had crafted the first time.

When we finally made it to the top, she was excited. "Can I have my candy now?", she screamed. There is a fence to protect you from falling off the edge. Just in case you really want to go down, they installed this gate. It was loosely tied with a rope.

The forced march up was over. Now to get down. Was this the best option? Who would be brave enough to use it? I'll tell you in my next entry.

1 comment:

John said...

I love bribery. It rocks. It took the longest time to figure out how to bribe The Boy.