Monday, May 08, 2006

Come down from there!

It was time to leave the top of Stone Mountain. On our way up we talked about taking the skylift back down. Meredith was a little nervous about it and Cari said that it wasn't her favorite idea either.

We headed toward the building that was the skylift terminal. I watched for a while to see how this thing worked. A box with windows came up from the ground, hanging from a steel cable. Workers shoved as many people as they could into this box, and sent it back down to the ground.

Sometimes Cari and I speculate how good we would be on the AMAZING RACE. Ziplines, climbing, boating are all things I could do. Bungee jumping and eating non food items are on my 'no' list.
Now I'm staring at this box on a wire wondering when the last time they checked the cable for wear might have been. I wonder if the employees realize how windy it is up here.

We step inside and they shut the door. I whisper to Cari, "We could still walk down if you are nervous."
She laughed. "You would NEVER make it on Amazing Race.", she replied.

Neither of the kids were bothered by this ride. In fact they pushed toward the window to look outside during our decent.

The ride was a smooth one. The car didn't seem to be swinging in the winds.

Down at the bottom there was a long line of people waiting to go up. I hope they check the wear on that cable soon.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

For some reason I dont think I would be on that thing. Being able to see al the way around really high up is not my cup of tea. Good for all of you in doing it. I wouldnt make it on amazing race either I dont think!!!!

Speed Seeker said...

That actually looks like it could be a fun ride. I think I would do okay on A.R., but I'm not into eating exotic foods. Skydiving would have to be the most exhilarating thing I've done to date and the view was amazing.