Monday, May 22, 2006

Free Air Show!

There normally isn't much air traffic around our house. Just the occasional small private plane.
I was caught off guard when I heard the roar of plane fly over my house. When I ran outside to see what it was (yes, I ran), I saw four planes flying in formation just over the roof tops. Of course I grabbed my camera in case they decided to come back.
These are two of the four matching planes that first alerted me to this show

While I waited for them to make another pass I heard the engine of another plane rev it's engine.
This plane was doing loops, flying upside down, doing nose dives, barrel rolls, and my favorite was a end over end double flip. How they did that, I do not know. Another trick I saw was when she would fly the plane straight up, then just let it tumble back down. There is no way she could know which way was up.

doing a nose dive, only to pull up at the last minute.

I hopped in the car and drove the two miles over to the airport. Our airport is small. Small enough there is a small building hooked to the side of the hanger. That's the airport. One runway, one room that was an afterthought. I don't think they have running water there yet.

I was able to stand at the hanger and watch the plane continue it's aerobatics directly over the airport.

Thanks to the smoke trail, this picture was more interesting.

I later learned that my pictures weren't worth much. Nothing but blue sky and a plane upside down. Turn the picture over and it looks like any other picture of a plane flying normally.

I was so busy trying to get pictures that I didn't even think about my video camera. I regret that now.

Meredith was home, so I drove home and brought her back to the airport.

Thumbs up, as the pilot poses for a picture before heading out.

One of the people in charge of this fleet said that they were practicing for an air show that one of the local manufactures hosted for its employees. After practice finished, he let the twenty of us there on to the pavement where the planes were parked. As we walked toward the planes, Meredith asked, "can I touch one?"
"Have you ever touched an airplane?", I asked her.
I already knew her answer as she replied, "no."
"Come on, let's go touch some airplanes!", I told her.

4 comments:

Miranda said...

So, was Meredith home alone when you picked her up? Did you forget you were supposed to be watching her and just drive to the airport without her, remember she was at home, and then picked her up? I'm calling Social Services.

Duck Hunter said...

Yeah, I kinda ended this post in a hurry. Meredith was home with Cari. Cari couldn't come with us because she was getting Randy from school.

Thanks for the comments, Miranda!

John said...

Now, did you photoshop that dress color, too? (not sure I trust the picture colors on the site anymore . . . )

Duck Hunter said...

That's actually not even an airplane, John. Thanks for outing me.